JORDAN: Hundreds of angry Jordanians took to the streets of their capital yesterday to denounce those responsible for the three hotel bombings that claimed the lives of at least 56 people on Wednesday.
As workers began cleaning up the debris at the Radisson SAS hotel, scene of the most-devastating blast, protesters gathered outside the hotel gates, waving banners, Jordanian flags and portraits of King Abdullah as they chanted slogans and sang national songs.
Much of their anger was directed at Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, a Jordanian militant accused of masterminding the insurgency in Iraq.
His organisation, al-Qaida in Iraq, had in an earlier internet statement apparently claimed responsibility for the suicide bombings at the Grand Hyatt, the Radisson SAS and the Days Inn hotels in central Amman.
The group said Jordan had been targeted because it was "a backyard garden for the enemies of the religion, Jews and crusaders . . . a filthy place for the traitors . . . and a centre for prostitution."
Jordan's deputy prime minister, Marwan Muasher, had earlier told reporters that al-Zarqawi's group was a "prime suspect".
To loud cheering and applause at the largest of yesterday's demonstrations, one man wearing a red-and-white keffiyeh and heavy beard thundered: "Abu Musab is not a Muslim, he is a terrorist and anyone who supports him is a terrorist."
Others were even more forceful. "Burn in hell, Abu Musab al-Zarqawi," some shouted. Others chanted "Death to al-Zarqawi, the villain and the traitor!"
Standing nearby, Arif, a 65-year-old chef, had tears in his eyes as he explained why he took part in the demonstration. "I am Jordanian and I am very proud of my country. It makes me so sad and angry to see something like this happen here. Abu Musab is a very bad man. He has no heart. Islam is my religion, not his."
Elsewhere in the city, security was tight. Police armed with machine guns patrolled the streets while soldiers kept guard outside embassies and hotels.
In keeping with the government's declaration of a national day of mourning, schools, universities and businesses were closed, and many of the city's streets were deserted until the demonstrations started around midday.
Government spokesman Bassel Tarawneh said 56 people had been killed in the attacks, but cautioned that the toll was likely to rise further. So far, the identified victims include 15 Jordanians, five Iraqis, three Chinese, one American, one Saudi, one Palestinian and one Indonesian.
The attacks have been roundly condemned by the international community.




