Iran ready for ‘fair’ talks with US but not on defence capabilities

US navy destroyer docks at the Israeli port of Eilat

Iranian foreign minister Abbas Araghchi looks at his Turkish counterpart Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference in Istanbul. Photograph: Khalil Hamra/AP
Iranian foreign minister Abbas Araghchi looks at his Turkish counterpart Hakan Fidan during a joint press conference in Istanbul. Photograph: Khalil Hamra/AP

Iran is prepared for the resumption of talks with ‍the United States, but they should be fair and not include Iran’s defence capabilities, Iran’s foreign minister said on Friday, as regional powers work to prevent military conflict.

US president Donald Trump said on Thursday he planned to speak with Iran, even as the US sent another warship to the Middle East and the Pentagon chief said the military would be ready to carry out whatever the president decided.

US-Iranian tensions have soared in recent weeks after a bloody crackdown on protests across Iran by its clerical authorities. One of ‌the main US demands as a condition for resuming talks with Iran is curbing its missile programme, a senior Iranian official said last week.

Iran rejects that demand. Speaking at a ⁠press conference in Istanbul after talks with his Turkish counterpart, foreign minister Abbas Araghchi said Iran was ready to participate in “fair and ‌equitable” ​negotiations, but ‍added there were currently no meetings with US officials arranged.

“Iran has no problem with negotiations, but negotiations cannot take place under the shadow of threats. They must certainly set aside their threats and change their approach toward a fair and equitable negotiation, as Mr Trump himself said in his post,” he said.

“I ⁠should also state unequivocally that Iran’s defensive and missile capabilities – and Iran’s missiles – will never be the subject of any negotiations,” he added.

“We will preserve and ⁠expand our defensive capabilities to whatever extent is necessary to ⁠defend the country,” Araghci said.

Regional allies, including Turkey, the United Arab Emirates, and Saudi Arabia, have been engaging in diplomatic efforts to prevent a military confrontation between Washington and Tehran.

In response to US threats of military action, Mr Araghchi said Tehran was ‍ready for either negotiations or warfare, and also ready to engage with regional countries to promote stability and peace.

Mr Araghchi and Turkish foreign minister Hakan Fidan said they had been speaking to each other almost every day to discuss the tensions.

US officials say Mr Trump is reviewing his options but has not decided whether to strike Iran.

US-Iran relations unravelled when Trump pulled out of a nuclear deal in 2018Opens in new window ]

Iranians drive near an anti-US and Israel billboard in Tehran, Iran, 29 January 2026. Photograph: Abedin Taherkenareh/EPA
Iranians drive near an anti-US and Israel billboard in Tehran, Iran, 29 January 2026. Photograph: Abedin Taherkenareh/EPA

Mr Trump has repeatedly threatened to intervene if Iran continued to kill protesters in its crackdown on the countrywide demonstrations over economic privations and political repression, but the protests have since abated.

Israel’s Ynet news website said on Friday that a US navy destroyer had docked at the Israeli port of Eilat. Nato member Turkey shares a border ‌with Iran and opposes any foreign intervention ‌there. It has called for US-Iran dialogue to avoid further destabilisation and has been in touch with both sides to seek a solution.

Earlier on Friday, Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan told his Iranian counterpart Masoud Pezeshkian in a call that Ankara was ready to ‌play a “facilitator” role between the sides.

Speaking alongside Mr Araghchi, Mr Fidan said he had long discussions on the issue with US special envoy Steve Witkoff on Thursday and would keep lines open ⁠with Washington to avoid conflict and the isolation of Iran.

Mr Fidan said US-Iran nuclear negotiations must restart and would pave the way to lifting sanctions on Iran. “We call the parties to the negotiating table” to address the issues “one by one,” he said. – Reuters

What does the US want from Iran?Opens in new window ]

  • Understand world events with Denis Staunton's Global Briefing newsletter

  • Join The Irish Times on WhatsApp and stay up to date

  • Listen to In The News podcast daily for a deep dive on the stories that matter